Do you work in the insurance industry? If so, you’ll know how competitive it can be to get ahead. Here are 10 steps to give your career a boost.
1. Networking has long been performed as a method of boosting your career. By attending events, mingling with fellow professionals and getting yourself known, you’ll be well on your way to success.
2. Using networking, conferences, meetings, emails and any other form of communications, build a base of contacts within the industry. You never know when you might need a good work putting in.
3. Build a profile for yourself using every means available to you. Supplement your networking profile with social media tools like Twitter and LinkedIn and connect yourself to the industry at large.
4. Put the hours and hard work in and you shouldn’t go too far wrong. There are no real shortcuts to success, just tips to help you make the most of the effort you put in.
5. It is an important step to identify the right time to move jobs. Switching to a new company is often the fastest way to climb the corporate ladder, but timing is everything. Wait until you’ve achieved something with your current employer or until the right opportunity comes along.
6. One of the best ways to do this is to have a good grasp on which are the best companies in the market. Find out those that are performing best and listen to what people have to say about working there.
7. It’s also a good idea to create a plan of how you’d like your insurance career to go, including where you want to end up. You may take a different path to get there, but the focus will help you succeed.
8. Know what’s going on in the sector is important in most industries, but in insurance, it’s absolutely essential. Make sure you’re reading the latest insurance news, reinsurance news and underwriting news, so you know what’s going on.
9. It is also a good idea to identify trends in the industry and make sure you stay ahead of the curve. Business insurance intelligence is a vital tool in outperforming your competitors and reading trade publications could be the key to gaining it.
10. Another way to build your business insurance intelligence is to read industry reports on a broad range of industry-related topics. Become a fount of all knowledge for your sector and you can’t fail to succeed.