Everyone has faced workplace stress at some point or the other in life. Though, fairly common, it can still hinder your ability to accomplish your work effectively. It can also greatly affect your mental and physical well-being. The economy, being what it is, has been causing increasing stress levels in people. This has led to a feeling of being on a constant emotional roller coaster. You cannot completely avoid stress but you can definitely cope better.
Here are some simple tips to fight stress at the workplace:
1. Take better care of your health: Stress can be greatly relieved by regular exercises. If the stress increases vastly, take a break. A simple walk around the office, or stepping out on the balcony, will help you get rid of excessive anxiety and helplessness. Avoid excessive smoking and alcohol during stressful conditions. These stimulants may seem attractive during stress, but cause increased dependence and anxiety in the long run. A good night’s sleep also is very essential to refresh the mind and body and cope better.
2. Time management: A lot of stress in the workplace is due to unfinished tasks. Better time management helps you get through all the tasks for the way, without feeling stressed. Also, don’t over commit yourselves for tasks, and prioritize over the ‘essential’ and the ‘should-be-done’! Sometimes, eliminating or delegating some of the tasks that are not so important, also helps clear up your plate! Arriving to office even 30 minutes before the regular time, can help you cope up with the day better.
3. Better interaction at the workplace: Sometimes, unhealthy work environment plays a great role in the stress levels that you face everyday. Realizing the impact of your emotional state on others goes a long way in creating a better environment. Also manage your emotions better and always try to create a positive feeling in and around you. This helps create a happier and more satisfied work force, which can help you accomplish much more than earlier. Also try to resolve conflicts in a healthy manner, disregarding the old resentment that you may be feeling.
4. Lower your standards: No one can be perfect. Realizing this for yourself and even your co-workers helps set you more realistic goals. Simply try to do the best in the situation, and don’t over expect anything else from others too!
5. Improve communication: Proper communication will help improve the interaction between you and others at work. This inculcates a spirit of team work and problem solving, helping you accomplish more every day. Effective communication helps in each person understand their roles and responsibilities in a better manner. Also the employees are more in tune with the requirements for the company and can plan to improve the total productivity. It helps make the people more valued for their work and creates better opportunities for career development. All these factors directly or indirectly help reduce undue stress.