A large component of the interview process is to learn how you would work as a member of the team, so you can expect to be asked some personal questions like, “What gets you up in the morning”
On the surface, this question is simply a way for the interviewer to learn a little bit more about you, but beyond that, it is a way for the interviewer to figure out what it is that you value in life. Although you can briefly touch on your overall career goals, you should spend more focus on what motivates you through life in general. This is your chance to tell the hiring manager what makes you tick.
Points to Emphasize
Your answer to this question should indicate that you are a team player and that you would be a true asset to have on the team.
- Go into plenty of details
- Talk about what motivates you personally as well as professionally
- Back up every claim with an example from your previous experiences
- Convey the fact that you are well-suited for this positionThe most important thing you can do with your response is to be honest. Employers genuinely want to know who it is they might be working with, so being truthful in your responses will help you land the job.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
- Although there is really not a bad motivator, you should watch out for these tricks when responding to this question.
- Avoid giving a broad statement that could apply to anyone
- Avoid language that expresses uncertainty
- Don’t state your motivations for wanting this specific job
- Don’t simply talk about how much you love the industryRemaining upbeat and positive is a great way to show the hiring manager that you are genuinely excited about this line of work and will be an asset to the organization.
A good answer to a question about what drives you to perform at your best would be along the lines of:
My kids are the biggest motivators in my life. I want them to have the best life possible, and they’re the main reason why I decided to go back to school to study engineering. Through courses and internships, I learned to love this field of work, which is why I want to continue pursuing my career in this field for myself and my family.
You should just be yourself when answering this question. Talk about what matters most to you and really think about why you get out of bed every morning when forming your response.