A majority of interviews are spent trying to figure out what kinds of skills and experiences an applicant has to offer. However, interviewers may also ask questions to learn more about you as a person, so you may be asked something like, “What’s the best movie you’ve seen in the last year”
This is not meant to be a trick question. The hiring manager is just trying to learn more about your personality and where your interests lie when you are not working. These types of personal questions are asked to help put you at ease and to maybe find some common ground. If you discover that the hiring manager has the same taste in movies as you, this can lead to some pleasant small talk.
Points to Emphasize
Answering this question should not be difficult, so you do not have to necessarily overthink your response.
- Be honest
- You can talk about why you liked it for a little bit
- Choose a movie that reflects well on your character
- Be able to discuss the movie you choose in detail if the situation calls for it
If the film you pick is also the interviewer’s favorite movie of the last year, feel free to ask their opinion on it. This could help you develop a good rapport with your potential employer.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
- Although it may seem like there is no wrong answer, avoid the following details in your answer to this question.
- Avoid saying that you don’t really watch movies
- Don’t act like this question is beneath you, take it seriously
- Avoid talking about movies that seem inappropriate for the job you are applying for (example: don’t talk about a goofy comedy if you are applying for a serious organization)
- This is meant to be a fun question, so feel free to talk passionately about a movie you enjoy. Do not try to impress the hiring manager.
- Avoid mentioning movies with inappropriate names
The movie you talk about should genuinely be your favorite movie from the last year, so talk about it like this:
I loved Whiplash. Personally, I think it should have won the Oscar for Best Picture.
You do not necessarily have to talk about a movie that won a bunch of awards. You can talk about a blockbuster or a little-known indie film as long as you talk about it passionately. The interviewer just wants to know more about you, so do not get the impression that there is a “right” answer in regards to the specific movie you talk about.