When you go in for an interview with a hiring manager, you may encounter the question, “What is your favorite website” If an interviewer asks about your personal Internet time, he or she wants to know about who you are and how you spend your free time. The question can give insight into what your passions are and how much time you spend on self-improvement. In turn, this will tell the hiring manager more about how you will approach work life and if you enjoy personal advancement. The interviewer wants to know how inclined you are to waste time versus completing important tasks on time.
Points to Emphasize
When you answer this question, try to talk about how the site helps you grow in terms of skills, keeping up with current events or staying connected.
- Choose a website that can be fun and informative.
- When discussing why you like the site, incorporate positive character traits such as an interest in learning new skills.
- Focus your answer on how the site fosters self-improvement.
- Be professional in your response and choice of site.Answer positively and incorporate information that indicates you are a good candidate for the position. Try to pick a site that combines professionalism and entertainment value whenever possible.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
- Even if you do spend a lot of time doing nothing on the Internet, it won’t look good to say so in an interview. Think about the sites you favor when you catch up on politics or research a DIY project.
- Unless it is relevant to the position, do not include social media.
- Do not choose a website that you know nothing about.
- Do not mention ‘followers’ and ‘likes.’
- Do not be afraid to include humor in your answer or choice.In this day and age, it is completely normal to spend hours looking at funny videos online, but this does not make for great conversation in a professional interview setting.
Here is a sample answer to the favorite website question:
My favorite Internet site is HowStuffWorks because it combines humor and educational topics. I love to laugh, but I want to stay informed on the world and its latest social and scientific advancements. It’s great to learn and be entertained and this website can deliver on both.
Remember, the hiring manager wants to know if you are a good fit for the company. He or she needs to know if you will work hard and learn quickly, so showcase your natural abilities with your choice of website.