When you’re in the midst of a tough interview, you’ll often get thrown a curveball with a question like “what would you do if you won the lottery” If you’re faced with such a tough interview query, it can be difficult to know how to answer.
While it sounds intimidating that the interviewer is asking what your spending habits might be with such a large amount of money, they are really trying to assess what your top priorities are and if your work and career fall into one of those slots.
Points of Focus
Considering what you’d do if you won the lottery often takes all of your priorities and lays them right on the line. Make sure that when you answer this question that you take into account the following things:
- Keep your answer focused on how you make constructive use of your precious time.
- Try to shape your answer around positive, logical decisions that you would make with a large sum of money.
- Show the interviewer your rational side by talking about how it would be a stress-reliever, but wouldn’t completely change who you are.
- Focus your answer on how happiness, self-respect and productivity are more important to you than wasting away your time.Keeping your answer pensive and logical will show the interviewer that you aren’t one to make rash decisions.
- While there are certain things that you should emphasize when responding to this interview question, there are also certain pitfalls to watch out for:
- Don’t tell the interviewer that you’d quit immediately and lounge around on a beach.
- Do not answer with a negative tone regarding work and responsibility.
- Don’t answer dishonestly and say that money doesn’t matter to you.
- Do not give an ambiguous answer that could be given by any job candidate; make it personal to you and memorable.Above all, not staying true to yourself is one of the biggest mistakes that you can make when faced with an interview question such as this.
Delivering a great answer when faced with to this difficult lottery question is easy when you shape your answer to something like this:
For me, winning the lottery would mean having the opportunity to completely eradicate those financial worries that all of us experience from time to time. It would also allow me to continue doing what I love with no stress involved. Winning this would give me the chance to work on my career, to further develop my running skills and my family relationships.
Remember that answer this question is just another glimpse into your life and thought process.